Thursday, September 9, 2010

Roses are red, violets are blue... F*** you, whore

Every time I've flipped through all the cable channels lately, I've run across (500) Days of Summer - which is where the above line came from.  I saw it when it was out in theatres, saw it again since then when a friend rented it, and now I catch bits and pieces of it whenever it's been on lately.  I really like it - but at the same time, each time I watch it, I wonder if I can sit through certain parts of it again. Basically, any of the parts that so excellently capture the unhappiness and uncertainty that relationships and life can have. I just feel so much empathy for the characters that it can be hard to watch, even though it's so worth it.

Tonight, because I basically didn't have anything else to do and because my netflix instant play was on the fritz and I didn't know how to fix it, when I was going through the channels and saw that it was coming on in a few minuts, I decided to stay on the channel and watch the whole thing through.  (p.s. if you haven't figured it out by now, I'm one of those people who can watch/listen to things over and over and over again). When I was watching it, it struck me how often the more negative emotional scenes were the funniest scenes in the film.  Again, see title above.  Now, I realize part of this is to keep the film from being overly maudlin and to keep good pacing, and also just because the writers were clearly clever, but I think it can also be true in real life.

Our more negative emotions, especially when we indulge them, can frequently lead to the ridiculous and also to a lot of honesty, shadowed by emotion though it may be.  At least mine do.  It's not a bad thing, it's just when I'm feeling certain ways, I tend to be a lot more blindly honest and because it's so real, it can be a lot funnier.  Barriers are gone and so is the expected.

It's a good movie is basically what I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment